10 ways to get active in Upstate New York this spring
Spring has sprung and it’s time to get outside and explore Upstate New York! Check out our top 10 spring activities and things to do this season.
- Biking – Hit the open road and feel the fresh breeze as you soak up the surrounding scenery on a bike ride! Whether you want a simple and scenic ride in the D & H Canal Park or along the D & H Canal Heritage Corridor or to challenge yourself with a ride on the 70-mile span of the Upper Delaware Scenic Byway, you’ll easily find an excellent trail for a cycling adventure around Inn at Lake Joseph.
- Hiking – Warm yourself up with the easy, 2.5-mile hike around the grounds at Inn at Lake Joseph before heading out to some of our more challenging hiking trails. Popular hiking destinations around our region include the Basha Kill Wildlife Refuge, Wild Forests of Catskill Park, and the Neversink Gorge Unique Area.
- Lake activities – With lake access so close the inn, it’s easy to enjoy some recreational activities out on the lake. We have four rowboats and four kayaks available on a first-come, first-served basis or for those traveling with their dogs, you may also enjoy our fenced-in dog run and swimming crib – we know your four-legged companion sure will!
- Tennis – Start with love-love with your love out on the tennis courts this spring, though we do hope you score a few points! Not only is tennis an enjoyable pastime but can really provide a great workout in case you’re planning on indulging at the wineries or nearby restaurants in the late afternoon or evening.
- Fishing – Bring your fishing license (or easily pick one up at the nearby Walmart or Monticello Town Hall) and fishing gear for some fishing in Upstate New York! Lake Joseph is home to bass, perch, and crappies but these waters are catch and release only. Within about a 20-minute drive, you can find White Lake or the Swinging Bridge Reservoir for non-catch and release fishing where you’ll find bass, trout, pickerel, and walleye.
- Golfing – Schedule your tee time and play one of our two nearby 18-hole golf courses, Tarry Brae or Lochmor Golf Course. Both courses have excellent greens and affordable pricing.
- Horseback riding – OK, the horse might be doing most of the “being active” part but it’s such a fun way to explore Upstate New York and spend an hour or two with your partner. You can book horseback rides with Bridle Hill Farm in the nearby Jeffersonville or with Rolling Stone Ranch in Bethel.
- Rafting – Take a thrilling river ride with a whitewater rafting adventure in the Catskills! These trips will end up being about half-day adventures but if you’re seeking some exhilarating fun out on the water, you can’t miss adding this to your itinerary.
- Lawn games – Have some playful outdoor fun with our on-site lawn games! We’ve got plenty of space out back by the pool for a friendly game of badminton and volleyball, though you could also play Frisbee, bean bag toss or play around with the wiffle balls on our grounds.
- Visit the wineries, distilleries, and breweries – Get a workout in by lifting the glasses of your favorite spirit when you visit our nearby wineries, distilleries, and breweries! What’s a lovely spring afternoon without a refreshing beverage?
Planning to explore Upstate New York this spring? Make plans now to book the perfect room at our relaxing inn to get your plans started!